Saturday, March 12, 2005

diversity in action

Last March 12, 2005, I attended the Diversity in Action Conference. I went with my two friends and some of theirs. Since I was new in Kansas State University, I didn't know much American or other foreign students aside from Filipinos. So I thought that this conference was a good way to meet people and also to learn from the speakers.

I was also very interested to hear from Kwame, the participant in the Donald Trump's show "The Apprentice". Donald Trump was a familiar name back when I was in the Philippines. My former boyfriend used to tell me stories about his rise and fall and rise again. So when I learned that Kwame was one of the speakers and that he was part of Mr. Trump's show, I got excited to attend the conference.

It turned out that it's not only Kwame who was the interesting speaker. There's also Mr. Bilal and Mr. Hernandez-Kolski. Well, the speakers were entertaining with lots of underlying lessons in the performance. However, Kwame was different. He's more serious than the other two. He came from humble beginnings and rise to the top. He’s a picture of the American dream which every foreigner like me would like to be. He might not have an impressive background, but I could say that he has come a long way. But you know what, I like his humility. His achievements didn't get to his head.

I also liked Mr. Bilal, was that Bo? I forgot his first name. He gave us the 12 steps to diversity. I like the "read, read, read" and "travel, travel, travel" lessons. It's also a good thing that he told us to accept our being homogene. He is right. Sometimes, I'm not comfortable to be with people with other ethnicity. But I'm doing my best to reach out. Sometimes, I became successful but at other times I did not. Sometimes, I get connected. Other times, not at all. At least not so close. There's a barrier. I think if more people will be open to diversity, then the world will be on the process of becoming one nation. If love and understanding and peace will reign, then there will be no more war....no more hunger ....and poverty. I know, I'm being idealistic....but it's free to dream. Let us just start within our small world to be down with diversity. The conference has a subtitle "Are you down with diversity?" I think I am in the process also.

No comments: